Friday, August 22, 2008

Experimenting with google search result rankings : the hard way!

Few weeks ago i wanted to be adventurous with my blog post. I wanted to check how back links affect the ranking of my post. the post in question is related to bangalore autowallas. nothing special of the subject though. the good thing being the sample size for the search is a few hundred results. I wanted to increase the ranking of my page in the google search results.
When i published my post it got indexed in an hour in google and was ranked #5 in the search results for the term "bangaore autowallas". not bad huh? but i thought some more traffic to the post would help me earn better rank and in addition some backlinks from the better ranked sites would help.
So i started posting the link to my post over random sites hoping to generate traffic and some reputation. the rank stayed stable for few days which made me more than happy. but all of a sudden i try searching for the term and my post is nowhere to be seen. strange art thou ways Google! Instead i saw the sites where i had posted the link to my post getting indexed. add to that when i made a specific search for my post on google i end up at some random site where i had posted the link.

what a bozo had i been!!!

No comments: