Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The Mysore trip - prelude

I am one of those techies who genuinely believe that we are not born just to do coding 24x7. So i support all those sites which help the poor souls by providing (un)tested code. Another thing i believe in is we are not supposed to hack out lines of code day in and day out. A weekend break is just what is needed to get the groove back after a week of missed deadlines, (quality? ;) ) coding, good for nothing colleagues (who dont leave a single girl for u to hit on) and bosses who think they have a moral obligation to make you yearn for the system clock to show its finally friday evening. I love my job :).

Well, with the plesantries out of the way lets come back to the topic. After one such eventful week at work i made my way out of my cubicle thinking what was i doing wrong in life. I went to the lobby and stood in line with similar souls waiting for the lift to take us DOWN. So there we were , perfectly normal people, staring at a led display as if hypnotized. The lift eventually obliged and everyone entered the square box. The curious thing about being in a lift is the effort people make to avoid any eye contact. After a few self conscious moments the girls can breathe easy and the guys can stick out their tummies. I made my way to the cab that drops us at specific places. One by one the cab was filled by individuals too preoccupied by thoughts of code performance, walkthroughs, foosball tips and the cafeteria food. Well, if this is doesn't seem right do a reality check. how much do we bother to think about where our lives are headed? Our immediate target is doing well enough to not be kicked out and bad enough to be called a coder( I call myself precisely that).

So, like any other vehicle in nimma bengaluru our cab too helped in the social networking phenomena on the road called traffic jams. As i sat contemplating what to do with the two days of the week that i own, a condescended to think of becoming more adventurous. i said why not. a trip through the beautiful south india would be just what was required. A first hand glimpse of the culture would go a long way in successfully stereotyping any person south of the vindhyas as a "maadaraasi" authoritatively(kindly use the words naively, insensitively, bluntly, chauvinistically interchangeably). So, i decided then and there to make a jaunt through the parts of karnataka and make some use of the time rather that watching the ceiling fan rotate the whole day. There ended my journey of my thoughts as i made my way out of the cab since my destination had arrived.....

No comments: